Wednesday Anton's last night over here, probably until Thanksgiving. This was our "Last Supper". Tony didn't like that I called it that, but Anton thought it was funny, so I'm going with it! He requested fettucini alfredo with chicken, which I've never made before. One stick of butter and heavy whipping cream - I don't think I'll be making it again anytime soon! It was yummy though!!!
Wednesday was a VERY emotional day for me!! It started out with me having lunch for a group of girls Anton's age that I have been leading a small group for at church for the last 3 years. I have known them since they were 10 - we taught them some form of Sunday School for several years when they were younger. I can still remember meeting them as soon to be 5th graders at VBS when I first moved to Kingwood. I'm so bummed I didn't think to take a picture at lunch!! But is was nice to see them before they leave for college. Anton and all these grils are all great kids and ready for college, so I'm happy they are getting to spread their wings... still, I felt slightly choked up all day!!!! After lunch I took Anna to a store to get a little shirt that I thought she might like to wear the 1st day of Kindergarten - it starts on the 27th!!! (there's a picture at the end of this post). Something else to choke up about!!
Anyway, while I was making dinner, Anton came in with a fun present for the girls - a little fish bowl and about 20 goldfish!! They were BEYOND excited!!! Here they are helping to fill up the bowl.
This was the fishes' home for about 14 hours.
Later on he was practicing percussion - he is trying out on Sunday for a spot on the TTU drumline. He's very good, but there's only 10 snare drums on their drumline and he doesn't know how many spots are open for new guys. I'm eager to hear the news!
So back to the fish...I was concerned about having so many fish in such a small bowl. I know nothing about taking care of fish, and Anton didn't ask any questions when he got them. The next morning they weren't looking so hot. They weren't really swimming, just kind of shivering in place. I was upset to see them like that, but it was too early to call anyone and what I found on the internet just made me have more questions and had me concerned that maybe goldfish are pretty high maintenance. So I made breakfast!!! French toast!
After Petsmart opened, I called and talked to a very helpful woman. Apparently no amount of goldfish do well in such a small bowl. She advised me to find a pond to put them in ASAP to save their lives. She told me a single Betta fish is pretty easy to care for and does well in a small bowl (it will live a few years anyway but I'm not so sure one would be happy in such a small space), so I told the girls we might get one. I emptied some water out of the bowl and safely put it in the van, and we headed off to the little pond by the baseball fields at the end of Woodland Hills and set them free. Thankfully they perked right up and started swimming around!! We headed back home while Anton was finishing up his packing. Thankfully his mind was on packing and he didn't seem bummed that his fish didn't work out. He got a few bags and things together and headed out. While he was saying goodbye to the girls, I had to go in my room and cry a little. Then we waved him off!
A goofy hug for dad...
Tony had one more thing to advise on before he got away. :) So now he's gone!!!! He arrived in Lubbock just before 6pm this evening. It really doesn't feel much different yet since we were used to him not being here all the time, but I'm sure it will really be hitting us in a few weeks! I sure do love that kid! I am just so grateful to have a wonderful stepson who knows what he wants to do and the opportunity for him to pursue it. Thank you God for education!! May He be glorified in Anton at TTU!!!
This morning we did a trial run up to Anna's school to pick up her paperwork packet for kindergarten. She wanted to wear her first day of school outfit, along with her backpack. So this is pretty much what she'll look like heading out to school. She's SOOO excited! It is still awfully hot outside, and she discovered that biking with a backpack means you have a very sweaty back! We may wait a couple of weeks before we ride the bike every day. :)
Later on the Pence kids came over. I fed James some Cheetos. (after some healthy food!) He's a fan!!
Here's a couple more fun sibling pictures from last week. Anton was playing a game with the girls and then they were running around to something he was playing on the guitar.
Life is good!





2 comments:
Oh, a birdie left the nest :(. Well when it is time for Emma and Elizabeth to go off we will get wine and gallons of chocolate ice cream and have a cry party.
For the record, butter and cream are good for you. They are whole food that God created for us. :)
Great post!
Post a Comment